Monday, December 3, 2007

My dear Madame....

a voice called down from the top of the old cupboard-
"My dear Madame"...
Mr. Jefferson spoke with great calm & dignity "Please, do not trouble yourself concerning my first meeting with the ladyes,
"he said, peering over the edge. " As you can see, I am quite well"... He looked surprisingly well. I also took note that in the short time he had been on the shelf that he had fashioned for himself a hat made from a bit of the wrapping paper that he had arrived in.... and tied some of the string around it to keep it in place. A resourceful fellow...since his arms were themselves tied on with string.
"In fact, he confided, as he adjusted the paper hat. " I was quite taken with their enthusiasm upon my arrival....I understand that the ladyes may not be used to much company, especially when that company is a gentleman. Of course, my sudden appearance has probably caused a bit of unexpected giddiness.
..."and the parlor tea table seems to have a bit of a tilt to it...and...." his voice trailed into a whisper... " I'm afraid that my spectacles were still in my vest pocket and I actually lost my footing and went down on my own accord...I do believe the ladies were only trying to help me up again...
and so as he spoke and told me about his missing spectacles, the fact that one leg is a bit shorter than the other, these combined with the tippy parlor table and apparently our Mr. Jefferson was much older than he had let on, it all became quite clear what had actually happened. it would seem that along with a most enthusiastic welcome, our dear Mr. Jefferson is a bit of a clumsy fellow without his spectacles...and more importantly, he is much older than he let on...in fact, quite old. Something to do with being "repainted"....poor fellow...
"and so dear Madame...if you would do me the kind service of finding something more appropriate for me to wear until my clothes are mended, I shall be most honored and pleased to join you with all your dear family for tea in front of the fire this evening...perhaps we may all begin again."
He smiled down at me.
He was now leaning precariously over the edge of the shelf, dangling a thin sock with a hole in the toe... "do you think you might be able to do something with this before the appointed hour?"
~~~~
to be continued...

19 comments:

a Bohemian Market said...

Oh, Christine, I am on the edge of my computer chair!!! What a gem of a gentleman you have with you : ) Perhaps, your sideline avocation should be weaving tales of olde!!!
Delightful
oxo
carole

Katie said...

Oh lordy! I looooove it!!! Mr. Jefferson is so sweet to suggest that your "fresh" little ladyes might not be at fault - a TRUE gentleman. I sure hope he gets some clothes and has a nice tea later. hehehe...I love your stories. Reminds me of being little and how our dollies and stuffed animals could talk and Bryan and I would laugh until we had tears at your stories.

Kitty Forseth said...

Awwwwwww.. I had no idea that you could write so beautifully Christine! What a treat :).

Stacey said...

Christe`~ I'm still giggling like a school girl over the first story! I think that perhaps if I were amongs such a handsome gentleman after always being surrounded by just ladye friends.... I could perhaps get so excited. Especially if that gentleman was as fine as Daniel Day- Lewis or even Johnny Depp...oh my, secrets revealed!
blushingly,
Stacey

Anonymous said...

thank you my dear girls...

I do think our Mr. Jefferson is indeed quite a handsome country gentleman.
Had he not informed me of any infirmities, I would have never known....perhaps it should stay that way.
Just between us,I do think he might see Johnny or Hawkeye when he looks in the mirror!
xo, Christe'

Anonymous said...

Having survived his initial meeting with the ladyes I'm sure he is looking forward to introductions on a more refined scale.He may require a pair of wire rimmed spectacles so he can drink up their beauty.And perhaps a little lace on his cravat to insure them he does come from a long line of good breeding...
Oh the tales you weave and the delights you create will leave us spellbound throughout the Holidays!
I would have commented much earlier but Mother Nature has summoned winter to arrive with quite a storm. xo Susan

Ulla said...

Oh dear, holey socks and no spectacles... whats an old (but handsome) man to do??? He does look a bit precarious hovering over the edge like that, perhaps you should build him a ladder too?

tongue in cheek said...

Your creativity is endless!

Christine Crocker said...

I can hardly wait to hear about Mr. Jefferson coming to your tea and I hope you can do something with that stocking....

Gayle

I've added tis comment for my friend, thank you dear Gayle.

Deb said...

Hello Christine
Thank you for stopping by my blog & leaving a kind comment.
I love the sweet little doll on top of the cupboard & your story!

Doreen Frost said...

Your writings are simply wonderful. It would be lovely if this story were to accompany Mr. Jefferson in his future travels. Perhaps a small, aged book ..........

I am waiting with anticipation for the upcoming "Tea Tales".

LoVe his hat

Doreen

Dixie Redmond said...

Looking forward to more...

Anonymous said...

Once again I see into that heart of yours. Giving and loving and so very 18th century. I sometimes wonder if you did not come out of the past. How very blessed this earth, to have been given just a sprinkling of hearts like yours. I for one feel you were given just to me. But I gladly share you with the world, it so needs you Christe' Do YOU KNOW HOW MUCH I LOVE YOU? Isn't that little spot of light in your dollys lap - your very heart? Love, Norma

Anonymous said...

Once again I see into that heart of yours. Giving and loving and so very 18th century. I sometimes wonder if you did not come out of the past. How very blessed this earth, to have been given just a sprinkling of hearts like yours. I for one feel you were given just to me. But I gladly share you with the world, it so needs you Christe' Do YOU KNOW HOW MUCH I LOVE YOU? Isn't that little spot of light in your dollys lap - your very heart? Love, Norma

Becky said...

Oh where oh where is Mr.Jefferson?
Christine, I hope your having a wonderful winery time prepering for a Merry Chirstmas. And staying warm.
I'm checking in everyday to see how your Mr.Jefferson is getting along. I hope all is well.

Warm Winter Smiles Becky

FrenchGardenHouse said...

Thank you so much for sharing this delightful story with us!

I always love coming here to visit you. Thank you for always making this a welcoming and warm place. Wishing you a lovely Christmas!
fondly,Lidy

FrenchGardenHouse said...

Thank you so much for sharing this delightful story with us!

I always love coming here to visit you. Thank you for always making this a welcoming and warm place. Wishing you a lovely Christmas!
fondly,Lidy

Sharon Stevens said...

Hi Christine,
I have to select 5 bloggers to list 5 random Facts about themselves. I would love to read some from you, so I've tagged you! Also I would love for you to add me to your link of fellow bloggers, if you have one. I will definitely list you on mine. Thanks a bunch..Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Sharon Stevens said...

OOps forgot to give you my address:
http://www.mustardseedoriginals.blogspot.com Thanks!